Before the American Revolution, the area for centuries had been the territory of the Onondaga Nation. The region was first settled around 1794 by outsiders who discovered the bay called by the natives “Assorodus” (“Silvery Waters”). This settlement became modern Sodus Point.
During the War of 1812, the village was burned by a British raiding party, leaving all but one building demolished. The village was rebuilt.
In the 19th Century Sodus Bay became an important port on Lake Ontario. Sodus Point was a central shipping point for coal, which was brought by rail from Pennsylvania.
When the Erie Canal was built the state transportation patterns shifted and the village’s function as a port declined.
In the later 19th century, it became a popular vacation resort, especially for people from Chicago and other cities during the summers.
The village was incorporated in 1958.
For more history of Sodus Point visit historicsoduspoint.com
Postcards with Images of Historic Sodus Bay